11/17/2008

Just Like Heaven

Wow...has it really been 20 years?

The third single from 1987's Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me, in 1988 The Cure had their first American top 40 hit with a song that has won them numerous accolades and been the subject of quite a few cover versions. Their best pop song and undoubtedly one of their very best overall--not to mention, quite possibly, the one Cure song everyone knows--it is 3 and a half minutes of, well, heaven.

And that first verse? It's what clever love songs are made of:

"Show me how you do that trick
The one that makes me scream" she said
"The one that makes me laugh" she said
And threw her arms around my neck
"Show me how you do it
And I promise you, I promise that
I'll run away with you
I'll run away with you"

And yes, it rocks:



A timeless classic, indeed. Wonder if it's too late to learn that hug-inducing, scream-and-laugh-provoking trick?

[Video courtesy of MTVmusic.com]